Monday, November 11, 2013

I'm leaning away from the "tachometer transplant" method based on interest in the project from others.  I'm currently considering strongly a custom-printed or -fabricated enclosure that mounts behind the steering wheel to the fixed portion of the steering column.

It should be easier to wire to, it would provide a housing for the four buttons I am planning for menu navigation, and it would not block anything except the "Unleaded Fuel Only" sticker, which for my car is slightly off-center which drives me nuts anyway.

For making the enclosures, I'm currently considering the gMax 3D printer - it's the only one large enough to print something bigger than cufflinks, so it would be useful to me post-project. Something like a 16x16x9 inch print area. My intention would be to figure out how to print A-pillar covers afterwards...


Currently working on proof-of-concept enclosures in TinkerCAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment